Shrimping Dip Net Review
There are many shrimping dip nets on the market that range from $65 – $95 dollars. Not all shrimping dip nets are created equal, so let us educate you with those features that are important.
We recommend the following in a shrimping dip net
- Hoop size NOT to exceed 30″, adult size
- Hoop size 24″ for children
- Hoop rim nice round shape
- Hoop solid metal and NOT hollow metal bar
- 8 foot handle with cane tip
- Shrimp sock is threaded on the hoop and NOT on colored thread
- Re-enforced brace at neck stem to reduce hoop flexing on strong tide
- 14lb mono test weight
- Quick release hardware at end of sock for easy dumping
- Sock length of 7 foot, go no less than 6 foot
- 1 continuous sock (not pieced together and sewn together)
- Ed Shumaker is an iconic net maker who makes a great dip net
- Can ship the rim & sock (NO HANDLE) via UPS for about $25
- To see high quality dip nets at Marker 69, CLICK HERE
Marker 69 sells the official gear used by Pro Angler, Capt. Lee Noga. She uses the Shumaker 30″ solid metal bar hoop.
Here are some pics of the Shumaker Dip Net with a quick release “cinch” device for easy dumping of the sock. Solid metal bar with the sock threaded on to the rim.
The DREADED THREADED Hoop
The threaded dip net model is where the net maker chose to thread the dip net sock on colored thread vs threading the sock on the metal hoop rim. They take thin green or black string and go thru the sock loops and then attach the color thread holding the sock to the rim with MORE colored thread.
- The colored thread deteriorates in saltwater
- The hoop rim may be hollow metal bar & irregular shape
- Dip net sock not tight to rim, thread causes gaps, see pics
Here is a sample of a threaded dip net. When you purchase it, it looks fresh and new and the net may appear tight to rim. As soon as its exposed to saltwater, the gaps appear and the string starts to break down.
The threaded nets do not stand the test of time, and here are some other pictures after 1 season of use. Note the gaps. The net should be threaded on the rim.